VPI Prime Turntable
The past 3 years VPI has been focusing mainly on new/entry level audiophiles and getting them to embrace vinyl for the first time. With the Prime we wanted to get back to our roots and focus on the existing audience with a table that offers quality hi-end sound while taking advantage of our improvements in technology. Also, it was important to show the industry that we will still be making new turntable and designs whether Harry is in the factory or poolside! The Prime is Mat Weisfeld's first solo design on a table with Harry's approval as well as input from the rest of the VPI staff. The shape of the Prime is meant to have a curvier and sexy look compared to the "classic" look of our tables over the past 10 years. At same time having the footprint to accommodate the space needed for a 10 inch 3D arm. We were able to get the price lowerfor the 3D arm because of our improved technology and increased volume in printing and supply.
The Prime includes the following:
- 10 inch 3D arm
- VTA Tower for vertical tracking on the fly
- Classic 20 pound platter and bearing
- Outboard 300 RPM motor housing
- New "Prime" feet which offer improved isolation and better mechanical grounding
- Stainless Steel/Derlin record clamp
- The Prime is also eing offered as a package with the SDS, Synchronous Drive System
- Cartridge not included
- Chassis made of black textured vinyl over MDF witn an 11 gauge steel plate bonded to the underside for the ultimate in resonance control and feeback rejection.
- Four solid Delrin corner assemblies designed for isolation and mechanical grounding!! A first.
- A 300 rpm 24 pole AC synchronous motor capable of high torque and quiet operation installed in a separate aluminum and steel machined assembly.
- Inverted bearing - hardened stainless steel shaft, 60 Rockwell chrome hardened ball, spinning in a phosphor bronze bushing and sitting on a PEEK thrust disc. The belt side load is placed at the center of the spinning bearing for zero teeter-tooter effects.
- 20 pound damped platter machined from 6061 aluminum to +/- .001" in a 39" circumference!!!
- Motor pulley has an accuracy of +/- .0005" when leaving factory.
- Wow and flutter: >.1%
- Speed Accuracy: >.03%
- Rumble: >85db down
- Pivot to spindle: 258mm
- Effective length: 273.4mm
- Overhang: 15.4mm
- Offset angle: 19.98 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: 0.311%
- Internal wiring: premium Discovery wire, optional Nordost Valhalla
- New design 3D printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
- Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
- Built in “Easy lift” finger lift.
- Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
- Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
- Adjustable anti-skate.
The arm looks like a traditional VPI Unipivot arm, except it's made in a 3D printer. The material is basically epoxy, which forms a rigid, lightweight, structure with good insulation properties. Epoxy is non-crystalline which impedes the transfer of vibration, so it’s the perfect material for tone arms. The shape of the tone arm shaft also adds rigidity to the structure and further prevents the transmission of surface vibrations. The result is a low resonance lightweight tone arm.